The Slinger Advancement Association was
formed on January 5, 1949. The officers elected were President Ray Kramer, Secretary Dr. Kenneth Prefontaine and Treasurer Kenneth
Ries. The Board of Directors consisted of Lionel Bull, William Kratz, Luke Kauth, Howard Miller and Roy Gundrum. The first annual Fall Festival and Bratwurst Fry was held September 1, 1954 and
continues as an annual tradition to this day.
Early projects sponsored by the SAA
included the development of the lighted village softball diamond back in 1953. SAA also promoted the showing of free outdoor
movies at the park. SAA also provides funds for Christmas light decorations on the utility poles throughout the Village.
Some of the early public improvements pushed by the SAA included telephone booths and railroad crossing lights.
SAA also pushed for the combining and renaming of Franklin Street, Rector Street and Cedar Lake Road to Kettle Moraine Drive in April of
The early years saw the SAA promote the
annual Blood Bank drive. SAA also acted as a
mediator in the deeding back of the land that was developed into the Firemans Park,
which was dedicated in 1970, and helped with the construction of the original
Firemans Park buildings.
The SAA was the primary promoter of the
Centennial celebration in 1969 and the 125th anniversary celebration in 1994.
Recent Accomplishments and Community Efforts